Question on Grounding

Swizzl3d

New User
Occupation
Electrical Designer
So I moved a different company, I find myself taking the helm of several projects. Lately, I've been feeling a bit out of practice, so I'm making an effort to refresh my knowledge. At this new company, the project dynamics are quite different. Instead of large-scale projects with main pipe racks set at 20-foot intervals, we're dealing with a multitude of smaller projects. Here, the norm seems to be pipe supports for pipelines spaced at around 11-foot intervals. I'm contemplating whether grounding each support is necessary, considering they're pile-driven but may also provide mutual grounding.

Our client leans towards conservatism, aiming for a target of 3 ohms. Interestingly, I've observed a practice from the previous designer of this project, who opted for ground rods at each light pole. While I meticulously review all client standards, details, and notes, this particular requirement struck me as unusual, as it doesn't align with my past experiences.

On a slightly different note, I've encountered two questions that piqued my interest recently. In past projects, grounding strategies varied. For instance, one client mandated wells every 200 feet and rods every 100 feet, while another preferred wells at 100-foot intervals and rods spaced roughly every 20 feet. These decisions often hinged on factors like the configuration of pipe racks, piles, and rebar grounding. I'm curious if you have any insights on these divergent approaches.

Additionally, I've been reflecting on grounding practices concerning fencing. According to code, intervals between ground points should not exceed 160 feet. Bonding jumpers are necessary at each fence corner, with bare conductors crossing over on both sides of any fence crossing. Gates, too, require special attention, with bonding mandated at gate support posts, and each post itself bonded to the ground grid. However, a recent client's request for #2/0 bare conductors with ground rods at every ground post, gate, and line post every 50 feet struck me as exceptionally conservative. Despite my initial surprise, I've had to adjust my designs accordingly to meet their specifications.

Anyways thanks in advance (y)(y):) E&I Designer

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Let's start with the goal of this "grounding" scheme, is this for lightning protection or for something that is likely to become energized?