Waivers for AFCI?

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
Illinois has “Supervision.” Basically, you admit to the traffic offense and if you don’t get another citation for a period of time (usually a year) your record gets cleared.
Apparently this is not nationwide. Thanks for filling in my blind spot.

retirede

We have something similar here called an ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal), but the courts just don't hand them out, you would typically need an attorney and it will depend on the offense and the circumstances and how strong are weak your case is, i.e. if you admitted to doing it or not More likely traffic infractions get reduced to "failure to obey a traffic device" which is no points and a fine.

Here, it’s almost automatic if your record is clean. If you have prior violations on your record, it’s closer to what you describe.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Here, it’s almost automatic if your record is clean. If you have prior violations on your record, it’s closer to what you describe.
Its time for me to insert the variable...
Around here if its a woman cop- you are getting pepper sprayed, tazed and then cuffed and stuffed. Nothing scares me more than phoenix cops (who just moved here from out of state)

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Straight to the electric chair where you will experience first hand how AFCIs don't work.
GFPE is used over 1000 Amps.

The first, more powerful jolt (between 2000 and 2,500 volts)[34] is intended to cause immediate unconsciousness,[35][36] ventricular fibrillation, and eventual cardiac arrest.[36] The second, less powerful jolt (500–1,500 volts)[37] is intended to cause lethal damage to the vital organs.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
it's not an issue of hackness so much as a purely business decision as to whether I want the supposed liability
No need for actual liability, to cause property owners a complete loss.

The latest epidemic is exploding houses.

With state insurance codes using the term "Increased Hazard" as cause for non-renewal & cancellation, all it takes for complete loss of property and voided claims is an open permit, unlisted equipment, expired smoke alarm, missing safety device, or unlicensed contractor on site during a remodel.

Avoiding permits is expected by hacks who can't pass inspection. AFCI's are 1 of several reliable causes of avoided permits.

It's up to the property owner to enforce that permit with the bid. Mentioning AFCI's just makes the roaches scatter.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I prefer no charge for the first service call, because I might have made a mistake in the installation.
If it happens within a month or so of installation, maybe.

If it took that long until they plugged in a problematic appliance, it's not your mistake.

I may not charge but do not make any statement beforehand about not charging for such calls.

kwired

Electron manager
If an educated customer came to you demanding that you not install AFCIs, then the waiver might help. Basically if you are doing everything you can to get the AFCIs in but the customer isn't having it.

Say you did an installation at my house, knowing that the AFCIs would be pulled when you left, so you install regular breakers so the non-professional isn't swapping breakers.

But if the AFCIs are not installed in order to reduce your bid, you are essentially encouraging the customer to accept a below standard installation.

Jonathan
If it is an installation subjected to inspection, your inspector may or may not think AFCI's are a good thing but if he is doing his job correctly he shouldn't be approving the installation if code requires them regardless how much him, the installer or the customer is against having them.