1 portable generator to feed 2 200 Amp panels with generator interlocks.

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That last comment seems to confirm that ruxton.stanislaw is indeed only an AI, or at least that a real human didn't spend more than a few seconds editing the AI generated responses.
It is like the kits that you see at Costco every now and then.
Unless you can provide a model number or a link, I'm calling BS on this one. I don't think 4-wire interlock kits exist.

(e.g. NN A or NNN A)
is totally superfluous and only serves to cause confusion.

The AI's first long comment contained some nuggets of good information mixed in with some fabrications. I will come back after I have drawn a diagram, and post what I think is the real answer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I messaged him on 4/18 and asked whether he was real or AI. This is his response:

I didn't know anybody was reading.
....r ...u...a...bot.....2 ??
OK, go away bot! I got this.

I am pure flesh and blood. Nothing fake about me....well...
My wife says I don't have a "lick of sense"!
I manage to keep her around anyway 'cause she's a good cook. Red beans and cornbread, biscuits and gravy, few cookies and occasionally a pie.
I've only been married just once and I'll never do it again!!

Did I mention that I have been married just once.....to the same sweet lady for______years!

Truthfully, some people say that I don't work...just hang 'round thu house and just look like I'm working.
It's fun most of the time until she says somebodys gotta mow and trim the weeds so I said yeah gohead.

I taught high school for several years, boy was that an experience but I made it out safely.
I think the students taught me a few things, too. Now, I know why teachers need summers off.

And proud that 2 or 3 of my students got their journeyman's license and they are now master electricians.
Did a gig as a city electrical inspector several years until I found out teaching was a whole lot safer and easier. Today, I am the go-to guy for all my electricians friends that need help with the NEC and advice just about what ever they need for any given job. I like it. So do they, it's usually free. I think that's why they call me often.

Taught electrical Code prep classes for 20 something years and continuing ED license renewal class for 20 years. Now, I've got a real job. I have private tutoring classes here at my original electrical shop out on our land here in the great state of Texas.

I've taught about 100+- guys and few girls how to pass the electrical exam.
I was an electrical contractor for 19 years. Sure had fun.

Name, which one do you want, the one my wife calls me or my real name, I'm Al Werning
Also, known as TX+MASTER #4544
Just call me Al.

Don't tell anybody about this 'cause they'll never believe you.

Now, back to that AI Bot.....you mentioned.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER#4544

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
I messaged him on 4/18 and asked whether he was real or AI. This is his response:
@LarryFine Oh TX (who also made non-human posts) had its human handler change its name.
That's the most AI reply ever.
Captcha needs to be improved I guess.
Not sure what the point of this game is. Must be a really bored guy.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
User ruxton.stanislaw, who may or may not be an AI, wrote reply #8. He mentioned 4-wire interlock kits, which I don't think exist. He said the 2023 code requires them, which I think is a complete fabrication.

But this talk about 4-wire transfer switches got me thinking, if you needed to use a single generator to back up two electrical services, and you already did the load calculation to make sure the generator could handle the load, couldn't you do something like this?
2-services.png
(I edited the photo to add the neutral on the right side of the generator - somehow I forgot it in the original drawing.)
Here I have two regular single-phase services, with a 4-pole transfer switch on one and a 2-pole on the other one. Both transfer switches would be controlled together to switch at the same time when there is a power loss. There is no parallel path for neutral/ground current under normal operating conditions. What I don't like about it is that service #1 relies on the path through the neutral and ground poles of its 4-pole transfer switch for its neutral/ground bond. Also, it may be more complicated and expensive than just installing two generators.

Anyway, I thought that using a single generator for two services was discussed recently, but I looked and didn't find that topic. Instead, I found this old one from 2012: Generator feeding 2 panels. In reply number 3, a code section 445.19 is quoted, which would seem to prohibit this installation, but in the 2020 code that section no longer exists.